Come help us celebrate the one year anniversary of our retail store opening!
On March 12, 2017 we will be hosting a cupcake tasting event from 2 pm to 5 pm.
Did you know that Angel Cakes makes almost 90 flavors? Now’s your chance to try some of our most unusual flavors as well as our top sellers - PLUS give feedback on some of our new experimental flavors! For the price of one ticket you’ll be able to sample an unlimited number of mini cupcakes while at the event (sorry - you can’t take any home with you).
Many of our flavors (plus some experiements) will be available. And we will post our flavors here in the Facebook event as it gets closer. Our full list of flavors is available here: http://www.angelcakes510.com/flavors
Some of the cupcakes that we are considering including are:
The Dad (Dark Chocolate, Bourbon, Bacon)
Turkish Coffee (Coffee, mint, cardamom)
Brian’s Thai (galangal, coconut, lime, chili)
Matcha Green Tea
Dirty South (Pecan, caramel, bourbon)
Spiced Apple Pie
Plus our top sellers:
Chocolate Salted Caramel
Meyer Lemon Cream
Vegan and gluten free options will be available.
Complimentary coffee, tea, and milk will be served, or BYOB a beverage of your choice.
Tickets are $15 each
TICKET SALES ARE NOW CLOSED
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/942215685923047
Space is limited
This event will take place at the East Bay Community Space, 507 55th Street, Oakland (On the corner of Telegraph Ave). Street parking is available.
While we specialize in cupcakes, we also make small cakes as well!
Available cake sizes:
6" round cake
- 2 layers / 4 inches tall / 10-12 servings - $40
- 3 layers / 6 inches tall / 12-16 servings - $50
8" round cake
- 2 layers / 4 inches tall / 16-20 servings - $55
- 3 layers / 6 inches tall / 20-24 servings - $65
14" round cake
- 1 layer / 3 inches tall / 50-60 servings - $90
- Small: 2 layer 6" cake stacked on top of a 2 layer 8" cake / 30 servings - $120
- Large: 2 layer 6" cake stacked on top of a 2 layer 8" cake on top of a 2 layer 10" cake / 60 servings - $190
Prices listed are for the following designs. If you are interested in a different design, please email us a link to a photo of the design you are interested in, and we will provide a quote. Tinted frosting, sprinkles/pearls, writing, and simple drawings of designs in buttercream are included in the price. See photos below for examples (click on each photo for size information). We can add a cake topper (provided by you) to any cake. We recommend ordering cake toppers from Etsy. Fresh flowers or fruit can be added to any cake for an additional charge.
1. Rosette - small rosettes covering the cake, or flat top with writing and rosettes on the side
2. Large Rosette - large rosettes covering the cake, or flat top with writing and large rosettes on the side
3. Smooth - with or without a buttercream border
4. Stars - stars all over the cake, or flat top with writing and stars on the side
5. Drip cake (+$5) - With caramel or chocolate glaze
6. Ribbon - Ribbons on side, smooth top
7. Naked - Smooth top, little or no frosting on sides
8. Stripes - Vertical stripes and smooth top
9. Circles - Horizontal circles/lines, optional smooth top
10. Swirl - Smooth design, marbled colors
Photo cakes: A logo or photo printed on edible sugar paper can be added to any cake for an additional $20. The maximum size the photo can be is 8" x 10".]]>
Once again we are offering our traditional Valentine's gift box for pick up or delivery on Tuesday, February 14!
This year's boxes will include one each of the following flavors:
Dulce de Leche
And vegan or vegan/gluten free options are available.
The boxes are $12 for in-store pickup, or have them delivered to San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, or Alameda for $25. We're normally closed on Tuesdays, but we'll be open on Valentine's Day for gift box pick ups from 2 pm to 6 p.m.
We'll include a personalized Valentine's note from you to the recipient.
Order gift boxes here: https://squareup.com/store/angelcakesSF
Orders must be received by the end of the day on Thursday, February 9.]]>
On Sunday December 4 we will be open! We'll be participating in the Maker Market happening in the building next door to the bakery. We'll have cupcakes, coffee, hot chocolate, and mini quiches!
The KitLab Maker Market is from 1 pm to 5 pm at 721 5th Street in Oakland. Kitlab is a new art gallery/maker space in Oakland, opening in 2017!
Here's their event description, and more info is on Facebook:
A faire showcasing creations and inventions from local artists and makers!
Featuring: Surprising Gifts, Artist Demos, Hands-on Activities, Music and Live Entertainment, the opportunity to BUY LOCAL and support BAY AREA ARTISTS!
Artists will display works in progress – Come learn about their process of creation!
This event is FREE and Open To All – Rain or Shine
- Rob Bell - Zomadic Artifacts
- Jason Porath - Rejected Princesses
- Ashley Newton/Sean Stevens - Interactive Robotic Flowers
- Anna Hirsch - pyrographic #NotFeathers
- Jen Angel - Angel Cakes
- Rennie Lum - All Squishy Inside
- Catherine Rose - The Eye-Line Clothing, books, prints
- Julien Hartline - Flickerstrip
- Stacy Speyer - Cubes and Things
- Miju Han - Art by Hallucinations+Dreams / prints + originals
- Marianna Segar - Cards, prints, and original drawings
- Nicole Catrett - Mouse Workshop
- Le Mysterium Collective
- Anthony "T" Maes" - Generations Deep - Laser engraved art
- Diana Stapleton - Mandalas
- Chris Cerrito - BrushBots
This event is a collaboration between kitLAB and the Gingebread House in Oakland. We couldn't be more excited about this collaboration, and we are thrilled to be able to give our favorite artists and makers this great exposure!
Yep it's that time a year!
Here is our schedule for the upcoming holidays!
We'll be accepting custom orders throughout the season - please make sure to plan ahead to insure our availability! Our ordering information is here.
Thursday 11/24 - Thanksgiving - CLOSED
Friday 11/25 - Open 11 to 7
Saturday 11/26 - Open 11 to 3
Saturday 12/24 - Christmas Eve - Open 11 to 3
Sunday 12/25 - Christmas - CLOSED
Saturday 12/31 - New Year's Even - Open 11 to 3
Sunday 1/1 - New Year's Day - CLOSED
Our normal store hours are:
Our Normal hours:
Wednesday 11 to 7
Thursday 11 to 7
Friday 11 to 7
Saturday 11 to 3
Please keep in mind that with enough notice, we can often accommodate special orders on days we are closed.]]>
It's never too early to get in your orders for all of your December holiday parties! We will be working and open throughout the month, and through New Year's. Since we have a small shop, placing your orders in advance is always a good idea - and remember we usually get booked up about a week ahead even when it's not the holidays.
We LOVE holiday flavors - and there are so many great ones to choose from. Along with our top selling flavors (Salted Caramel, Meyer Lemon Cream, Red Velvet), some of our holiday favorites are:
Chocolate mint / Peppermint / Candy Cane
Coconut or Chocolate with Pomegranate
Gingerbread (with or without Cranberry)
Old Fashioned Cocktail (Bourbon)
Ginger, Cardamom or Chai Spice
Maple / Maple Bacon
Spiced Pear Brandy
Pumpkin Spice / Pumpkin Chip
Or pick any of your favorite flavors and top them with festive red and green sprinkles or snowflake cut outs.* Our complete list of flavors (almost 90!!!) is here.
A dozen cupcakes starts at $36, and minis start at $1 each! We deliver throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area or you can pick up your order at our Oakland store - sorry, we do not ship cupcakes. We also have gluten free and vegan options for most of our flavors. All of our ordering information is here. Please remember that we require all of our custom orders to be prepaid, though you can always top into the shop during our retail hours and pick up some goodies - we're sure to have holiday designs starting in December.
*Colored frosting or sprinkles are included in the price, but fondant toppers and some holiday designs (like poinsettias) may cost extra.]]>
Ever since opening in March, it's been difficult for customers to find us (aside from our historic location, of course). Well, earlier this month our building received a much needed update!
We worked with Stephen at Berkeley Signs to add a a large hand-made wood version of our logo to two sides of the building, as well as cupcake decals on our door and four of our windows. He also updated our sandwich board signs so they are easier to see from the street.
WE LOVE THE SIGNS! I mean, REALLY love them. Finally we're a real business!
Working with Steve was great - he came by the store for a consultation and we went over all of our ideas. He had great suggestions, and I could tell he had a lot of experience. After the consultation, he sent a written estimate, and I paid a deposit, and a few weeks later, he called to schedule the installation. We loved all the little details - like the bronze paint on the edges of the wood signs.
His fees were reasonable, and he was great to work with, and most of all, everything looks great!]]>
The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of fun and craziness! We learned so much over the last two weeks about how to be more efficient, and how many cupcakes to have in stock, and all the important little things.
Opening day on March 23 was packed! That day and the next day we sold 300 cupcakes each day - way more than we expected! There was a whole lot of, "Quick! make more cupcakes right now!!" It's been super gratifying to be so well received.
One of the best parts of being in the old Gingerbread House building has been learning about all of the history. We've LOVED hearing all about folks connection to the restaurant and the building. Here are some of the things we learned:
- A woman named Delia stopped in yesterday and said that she lived in this building as a child in 1956, before it was a restaurant. Her landlord eventually sold the building to TJ Robinson (of the GIngerbread House restaurant)
- The guy who bought it after the restaurant closed, named Oneill, came by. He said that he bought it in 2008 (the restaurant closed in 2007) and when he took possession of it, there were lots of squatters in the building and someone had gone through and stolen all of the copper pipe, leaving holes all over the walls. He said it was a mess. He sold it in 2015 to my friends who bought the building, because he was getting divorced and it was part of the divorce agreement. He is married and lives most of the month in Cuba now. He also said that TJ made and sold dolls originally in this house, and then started cooking. She later bought the house next door to start the restaurant.
- Antonio lives down the block and he has come by several times. He turned 72 on Easter. He has lived in the neighborhood on and off for 60+ years. He's been really great and friendly.
- Just yesterday I met Waseem outside the store - he said that he used to wash dishes in the restaurant when he was 18. As others have, he said that there used to be a waiting list for months to get a reservation. The kitchen where he worked was on the second floor of the buliding next to ours.
- Adrienne from Oakland Momma blog found out that jazz musician Chuck Mangione once wrote a song about the restaurant! She contacted Chuck and reprinted the lyrics in her blog post.
SO MANY people have stopped by to say that they are super happy that something is happening in this building again and it's not going to be torn down like lots of old landmarks.
We got a lot of fun media attention, and turns out, lots of people still watch TV! Loads of people said they saw us on KTVU on Mar 24 and came into the shop! The Nosh piece and the Oakland Momma blog post both have really great photos - I love how Adrienne highlighted the little architectural details of the building.
Oakland Momma: An Angel Descends on Oakland's GIngerbread House
Nosh: Angel Cakes: A Bakery in a Gingerbread House
Inside Bay Area: Oakland: New life for quirky Gingerbread House building
KTVU: New Bakery Opens in Oakland (video)
Bay Area News Group/Eat•Drink•Play: TJ’s Gingerbread House gives rise to Angel Cakes
EaterSF: Oakland's Gingerbread House Born Again as Angel Cakes, a Cupcake Shop
SF Gate's Inside Scoop: Angel Cakes: Cupcake shop rises in former Gingerbread House in Oakland
Header photo by Melati Citrawireja, Berkeleyside. Photo on this page by Adrienne Schell, Oakland Momma blog.]]>
Now that our store is finally open, I wanted to extend an extra special thanks for all the folks who helped make it happen. I've been so humbled by all the folks who have stepped up to provide support in so many ways!
Thank you to everyone who painted things, moved things, assembled things, installed things, made cupcakes, cleaned everything, took photos, made a video, fixed things, brought me lunch, provided moral support when i was overwhelmed, and otherwise made the store physically become what it is today:
Maddy Van Engel
And to our funders:
Brian J Judd
Celia F Alario
Daniel & Lynne Van Engel
Edward T Henry
Elizabeth Morley Beckman
Eric E Strand
Esther E Cervantes
Gayle N Roberts
Joanna K Winter
Julie & Joe Barr
Margaret G Langston
Megan K Shea
Meredith R. Dearborn
Payal P Parekh
Robin Beck & Emily Van Engel
Roy San Filippo
Sus Lew & Barrie Evans
Tannie R Low
Tyson Casey & Mia Murrietta
William I Goldberg
We have FINALLY finished renovations on our retail store! We will be open for regular retail hours at our new location, 745 5th Street in Oakland, beginning Wednesday March 23!
Wednesday: 12 to 6
Thursday: 11 to 7
Friday: 11 to 7
Saturday: 10 to 2
And by appointment. Remember you can place a custom order for pick up or delivery (even when we're not open).
Check our Facebook page for each day's selection.
More information on our store is here.