Now Hiring a Part Time Bakery Assistant
UPDATE 8/15: The position has been filled!
Original post: Angel Cakes (http://www.angelcakes510.com) is a cupcake bakery in Oakland located between West Oakland BART and Jack London Square, in the historic Gingerbread House building. We also make a variety of cookies, cakes, cake pops, and other baked goods.
We are currently hiring a baker/decorator for up to 20 hours a week, which may increase post-Covid, with shifts scheduled Wednesday through Saturday. The primary responsibilities of this role are baking, cupcake decorating, and customer service, though there is some cleaning and there is some flexibility depending on what is exciting for you. Starting wage is $17/hr plus tips (an additional $1-2 per hour worked). We also provide paid lunch breaks, sick time, and some paid holidays. There is opportunity to learn new skills (baking and beyond baking), and every staff person has the chance to create their own signature cupcake flavors.
No decorating or baking experience is necessary, but experience in a retail environment, at another bakery, or as a home baker is helpful. Paid training will be provided.
During Covid times, we are primarily baking prepaid orders for customers for either pickup or delivery. On Fridays and Saturdays, we sell cupcakes from our make-shift sales window set up in the front door of the store, so customers do not enter the store, and all customers are asked to wear masks. You would be working with one or two other staff members at the same time, and if you are working with another staff member everyone wears a mask. We encourage frequent hand washing and there are 3 hand washing stations in the bakery.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Baking cupcakes and cookies
- Decorating cupcakes
- Making frostings, fillings, and toppings
- Assisting customers at the counter/pickup window and over the phone
- Washing dishes, mopping, and other cleaning tasks
- Working as a team and being flexible
- Maintaining the overall organization and cleanliness of your area
- Always be thinking of efficiency and striving for improvement without compromising quality
- Ability to resolve routine questions and problems independently
- Be able to stand for several hours
- Be able to lift a 50 lb bag of flour or sugar
- Feel comfortable working on your own without direct supervision
- Feel comfortable interacting with customers at the front counter/pickup window and on the phone
- Commit to being on time for shifts
- Enjoy cupcakes! If you don’t like sweets this is probably not a great fit for you!
Angel Cakes is not wheelchair accessible at this time. We offer service to folks with mobility challenges through home delivery and through our pickup window at the front of the store. In non-Covid times, customers who are not able to enter the store can call for service using the doorbell at the front door.
Angel Cakes is a small shop and as the owner, I strive to create an environment where everyone (staff AND customers) feels included, valued, and respected. I believe that Black Lives Matter and that every person has the right to choose their own gender identity and gender expression. I strive to reduce waste through limiting use of plastics and choosing products that are gentle on the environment. I do my best to be a good neighbor and community member through donating to and providing desserts for various social justice efforts. I am available to provide references from current and former employees.
To apply for this position, please email me, Jen Angel, with some information on why you would like this position and some things about your work history. Because this is a pandemic, we may do an initial phone screening followed by an outdoor physically distant interview with masks on, and eventually a trial work shift.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Find out more information about Angel Cakes:
Our Website: http://www.angelcakes510.com