We’re hiring! Angel Cakes is hiring a baker!
Angel Cakes is a cupcake bakery in Oakland located between West Oakland BART and Jack London Square, in the historic Gingerbread House building. We are currently open for walk-in customers Wednesday through Sunday, and have a prep day on Tuesday. We will be expanding to add Tuesday hours with a prep day on Monday. We have a small staff of 5 and have a staff meeting (lunch provided) every Thursday. Angel Cakes is a fast-paced environment that requires thinking on your feet and working as a team. We have a menu of over 120 flavors, and all staff members are encouraged to create new menu items.
We are currently hiring two bakers! We are looking for a part-time baker (1-2 shifts per week) and a baker for 30+ hours a week with a set schedule (negotiable) Monday through Saturday, and optional additional hours on Sunday. Weekday shifts are between 10 am and 7:30 pm and weekend shifts between 9:30 am and 3:30 pm. The primary responsibility of this role is baking and cleaning, though there is some customer service and there could be the option to decorate cupcakes as well. Starting wage is $16.48/hr plus tips (an additional $1-2 per hour worked, bringing your hourly wage to $17.48-18.48). We also provide paid lunch breaks, sick time, and some paid holidays.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Baking cupcakes, cakes, and cookies
- Making frostings, fillings, and toppings
- Washing dishes, mopping, and other cleaning tasks
- Working as a team and being flexible
- Maintaining the overall organization and cleanliness of the baking area
- Always be thinking of efficiency and striving for improvement without compromising quality
- Ability to resolve routine questions and problems independently
- Decorating cupcakes (optional)
- Filling in at the front counter as needed
- Be able to stand for several hours
- Be able to lift a 50 lb bag of flour
- Feel comfortable working on your own without direct supervision
- Feel comfortable interacting with customers at the front counter and on the phone
- Commit to being on time for shifts
- Have a valid drivers license. Use of a vehicle for deliveries is helpful but not mandatory.
- Enjoy cupcakes! If you don’t like sweets this is probably not a great fit for you!
No baking experience is necessary, and training will be provided. Experience in a retail environment, at another bakery, or as a home baker is helpful. All staff members must have an California Food Handlers Card and training will be provided if need.
To apply for this position, please email your resume/work history and a cover letter to Jen Angel at jen (at) angelcakesSF.com
The application process may include an interview and a (paid) trial work shift. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.