We’re hiring! Angel Cakes is hiring a decorator!
Angel Cakes is hiring a decorator! Start date: April 2020
Angel Cakes is a cupcake bakery in Oakland located between West Oakland BART and Jack London Square, in the historic Gingerbread House building. We are open for walk-in customers Wednesday through Sunday, and have a prep day on Tuesday. We have a small staff of 5 and have a staff meeting (lunch provided) every Tuesday. Angel Cakes is a fast-paced environment that requires thinking on your feet and working as a team.
We are currently hiring a decorator for 20 to 30-ish hours a week, with shifts Tuesday 12-6:30, Wednedsay 12- 6:30 Thursday 12-6:30, Friday 12-6:30, and a minimum of four weekend shifts per month (Saturday or Sunday, 9:30 to 3:30). Additional fill-in shifts may be available. The primary responsibility of this role is cupcake decorating and customer service, though there is some cleaning and there could be the option to bake cupcakes as well. Starting wage is $16.48/hr plus tips (an additional $1-2 per hour worked). We also provide paid lunch breaks, sick time, and some paid holidays. There is opportunity to learn new skills (baking and beyond baking), and every staff person has the chance to create their own signature cupcake flavors.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Decorating cupcakes
- Making frostings and toppings
- Assisting customers at the counter and over the phone
- Washing dishes, mopping, and other cleaning tasks
- Working as a team and being flexible
- Maintaining the overall organization and cleanliness of the decorating area area
- Always be thinking of efficiency and striving for improvement without compromising quality
- Ability to resolve routine questions and problems independently
- Baking cakes, cupcakes, and cookies (optional)
- Be able to stand for several hours
- Be able to lift a 50 lb bag of flour
- Feel comfortable working on your own without direct supervision
- Feel comfortable interacting with customers at the front counter and on the phone
- Commit to being on time for shifts
- Have a valid drivers license. Use of a vehicle for deliveries is helpful but not mandatory.
- Enjoy cupcakes! If you don’t like sweets this is probably not a great fit for you!
No decorating or baking experience is necessary, but experience in a retail environment, at another bakery, or as a home baker is helpful. All staff members must have an California Food Handlers Card and training will be provided if need.
To apply for this position, please email your resume/work history and a cover letter to Jen Angel.
The application process may include an interview and a trial work shift. Applications will be accepted through March 15 and then on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.