Angel Cakes is an Oakland-based cupcake shop serving San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and neighboring areas. Angel Cakes is a small-batch bakery and in addition to cupcakes we make cakes, cookies, cake pops, and other treats. While primarily a retail bakery, we also provide desserts for events from intimate birthdays to large weddings and corporate galas.
What makes us different is our large menu of over 120 flavors - we LOVE experimenting with new and unusual combinations! It keeps things interesting and allows us to use the freshest ingredients available. Most of our cake flavors can be made vegan and gluten free, and we have a lot of experience creating allergy or special-diet friendly desserts. We do our best to source ingredients locally and ethically.
Jen Angel created Angel Cakes in 2008, and our retail shop opened on 5th Street in Oakland in March 2016. Jen learned practically everything she knows from her mom, Pat. Although Jen has always been a baker, before baking full time she worked as an independent media and community activist. You can learn more about Jen by reading her personal blog. Her favorite flavors are chocolate peanut butter and really, whatever fruit is in season. Email Jen.
Angel Cakes is a small shop and as the owner, Jen strives to create an environment where everyone (staff AND customers) feels included, valued, and respected. She believes that Black Lives Matter and that every person has the right to choose their own gender identity and gender expression. As a shop we strive to reduce waste through limiting use of plastics and choosing products that are gentle on the environment. We do our best to be a good neighbor and community member through donating to and providing desserts for various social justice efforts, particularly in the areas of environental justice, housing, and criminal justice reform. If you are interested in a donation for your organization or event, please email Jen.
Your cupcakes are made by Jen, Laura, and Brandis.
In the News
Just a few of the mentions of Angel Cakes and our cupcakes:
- Hoodline: 4 Top Spots for Cupcakes in Oakland
- Oakland Momma: An Angel Descends on Oakland's GIngerbread House
- Inside Bay Area: Oakland: New life for quirky Gingerbread House building
- KTVU: New Bakery Opens in Oakland (video)
- Bay Area News Group/Eat•Drink•Play: TJ’s Gingerbread House gives rise to Angel Cakes
- EaterSF: Oakland's Gingerbread House Born Again as Angel Cakes, a Cupcake Shop
- SF Gate's Inside Scoop: Angel Cakes: Cupcake shop rises in former Gingerbread House in Oakland
- SF Gate: First United in Skepticism, and then in Matrimony
- A Practical Wedding: What Happens When You Marry Everyone You Know
- Mashable: World's Politest Protest Slams Pinterest for Using 'Dirty' Amazon
- Style Me Pretty: Sonoma Wedding at Beltane Ranch
- Rock N' Roll Bride: Retro Christmas Wedding
- Ruffled: Vintage Carnival Wedding
The Angel Cakes logo and print materials were designed by John Yates / Stealworks. This site was designed and built by Derek Hogue / Amphibian. Photo of Jen on this page is by Makana Grant, all other photos by Jen Angel unless noted.